Sunday, January 25, 2009

Courtenay Louie




Courtenay was in her last year of high school when she participated in the crawl last year and brought a significant number of her family down from Ahousaht to see the show. She's currently studying art in Victoria.

My name is Na? nah xomiis, meaning creative and generous, my English name is Courtenay Louie. I was born in Vancouver B.C and grew up in the community of Ahousaht, the largest Nuu Chah Nulth village in the heart of Clayoquot Sound. I originate from the house of Tlak-ish-peelth and Manhousat as well as having roots with the Frank/Hunter Family.

Recently moving to Victoria, I continue to return home, always with a camera in hand, and often the official photographer at many special events, including potlatches and weddings. In visits back home I participate in the potlatches by dancing, recording the songs or just visiting with family and friends. However, I am also able to balance that life with the life of a ‘city girl’.

Photography is my passion, and I believe it all started with my first nail clippings that my mom taped on a 35 mm camera when I was a baby. It is believed that when the first clippings are put with or in something it will ensure excellent ability, skill and competence in that specific subject. I received my first camera at the age of 13 and on my 19th birthday I received a digital 35 mm Canon Eos Rebel XT that I pack almost everywhere. I don’t have a specific subject for my pictures, instead, the beauty of my surroundings always provides something or someone to take a picture of - whether its the mountains, the sky, eagles, whales or most importantly, family and friends . For every picture I take I know it encapsulates a moment, writes it into your memory, and it brings you back to the moment each time you see the picture again and again. Photography is documenting my life and how I see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment